Pumpkin is an incredibly versatile ingredient to work with—these two recipes are easy to make and celebrate the potential of pumpkins. One is sweet, and the other savoury, but both are healthy and chock full of vitamin A and fiber. Stack up a few cans of pumpkin at the local grocer and enjoy cooking.
Pumpkin chickpea veggie burgers
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. In a pan, sauté the onion in 1 tbsp of the
olive oil until soft and translucent.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, add the chicpeas, pumpkin, egg, cooked onion, and spices,and mix until combined and chicpeas are partly mashed.
3. In the same pan, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
4. Form the pumpkin mixture into two paties.
5. Cook both patties in the pan, flipping once until golden on the first side.
6. Serve warm with a green salad or on fresh hamburger buns.
Chocolate coconut pumpkin squares
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup oat flour (can be made by blending oats in blender)
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Blend all ingredients together in a large bowl
until well mixed
3. Pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle
a few more chocolate chips on top for present
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Let cool for approximately 10 minutes.
6. Cut into squares and enjoy.